There are some general instructions we highly recommend for best usage and safety of your new Prestige toaster. Please note these are for general guidance and you can find the full details on how to care for your toaster in the use & care.
The below is for general guidance. Please refer to your use and care for full details on how to care for your toaster.
Before first use
- Unpack the toaster and remove any labels and stickers
- It is normal for residue on the heating elements to smell when first heated. Please operate for two cycles without bread and with good ventilation in the room.
- Different levels of orange glow on the heating element is normal.
General electrical product safety guidelines
- To protect against fire, electric shock and injury to persons, do not immerse appliance, cord or plug in water or any other liquid.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or if the appliance malfunctions or has been damaged in any manner.
- Connect the appliance to a supply with a voltage as indicated on the rating plate (situated on the base of the product).
- Do not let the cable hang over the edge of the work surface.
- The bread may burn, therefore do not use the toaster near or below combustible material, such as curtains.
- Do not use under a cupboard or close to a wall.
- Always use and operate in a well ventilated area.
- Do not use on or near a heat source, in an oven or microwave.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not use the appliance other than for its intended use.
- Never leave an appliance unattended whilst in use.
- Extreme caution must be taken when moving the appliance.
- Always unplug from the mains supply when not in use and before cleaning.
- Always allow the appliance to cool before cleaning.
- When unplugging, turn any control to off, then remove plug from mains supply.
- The appliance is for household use only.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
- The appliances are not intended to be operated by means of an external timer or separate remote-control system.
- The temperature of accessible surfaces may be high when the appliance is operating.
- If the supply cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer, its service agent or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard.
- Do not touch the toasting slots with your fingers once the toaster has been switched on.
- Do not touch the outer surfaces of the toaster as they may get hot during use.
- Never cover the toasting slots, which are used for inserting bread.
- Waffles, spreads toasted sandwiches and similar products are unsuitable for use in this toaster as fat may seep out and cause a fire hazard.
- If toasting items containing fruit, e.g. hot cross buns or fruit loaf, ensure that the fruit does not come into contact with the element wires.
- Do not attempt to dislodge food when the toaster is plugged in and NEVER put utensils into the slots.
- Unplug the appliance and allow to cool completely before cleaning.
- Wipe with a damp cloth and dry immediately with a soft dry cloth.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners on the appliance.
- Never immerse appliance in water or other liquid.
- Pull out the crumb tray and empty the breadcrumbs at the end of each toasting session.
Our toasters should only be used in a 13 amp socket with fully effective earth connection. It is factory fitted with a plug incorporating a fuse. If the supplied plug does not fit your household sockets, the plug should be removed and an appropriate one fitted. The removed plug should be destroyed safely. The flexible cord insulation should be stripped back as appropriate and a suitable alternative plug fitted. A replacement plug must comply with BS1363 and a 13 amp fuse fitted which complies with BS1362. The wires in the lead of this appliance are coloured as follows:
- Green + yellow Earth
- Blue Neutral
- Brown Live
Connect the green/yellow wire to the terminal in the plug marked 'E' or coloured green/yellow, the blue wire to the terminal marked 'N' or coloured black and the brown wire to the terminal marked 'L' or coloured red. Should the fuse in the plug require replacing, a BS1362 13 amp fuse must be fitted. This appliance is manufactured to conform to Directive 2006/95/EC (Low Voltage) and Directive 2004/108/EC (Electromagnetic Compatibility).
We hope you found this article useful and if you have any questions, please contact us.