Whether you use your Prestige kettle to make a cup of tea or to boil some water for your pasta dish, there are some general instructions we highly recommend for best usage and safety. Please note these are for general guidance and you can find the full details on how to care for your kettle in the use & care.
The below is for general guidance. Please refer to your use and care for full details on how to care for your kettle.
Before first use
- Carefully unpack the kettle and remove any labels.
- Before first use we recommend operating the kettle 2 or 3 times following the ‘Operating Instructions’. This will remove any dust or residue remaining from the manufacturing process.
General electrical product safety guidelines
- To protect against fire, electric shock and injury to persons, do not immerse appliance, cord or plug in water or any other liquid.
- Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or if the appliance malfunctions or has been damaged in any manner.
- Connect the appliance to a supply with a voltage as indicated on the rating plate (situated on the base of the product).
- Do not let the cable hang over the edge of the work surface.
- The appliance should not be used near or below curtains or any other combustible materials.
- Do not use under a cupboard or close to a wall.
- Always use and operate in a well ventilated area.
- Do not use on or near a heat source, in an oven or microwave.
- Do not use outdoors.
- Do not use the appliance other than for its intended use.
- Never leave an appliance unattended whilst in use.
- Extreme caution must be taken when moving the appliance.
- Always unplug from the mains supply when not in use and before cleaning.
- Always allow the appliance to cool before cleaning.
- When unplugging, turn any control to off, then remove plug from mains supply.
- This appliance is intended to be used in household and similar applications such as:
- staff kitchen areas in shops and offices and other working environments;
- farm houses;
- by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
- bed and breakfast type environments.
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety.
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with appliance.
- If the supply cord is damaged, it must be replaced by the manufacturer, its service agent or similarly qualified persons in order to avoid a hazard.
- CAUTION – After boiling, please allow the kettle to cool completely before opening the lid as there will be hot steam coming out which can be dangerous for the person near the kettle
- This kettle is only to be used with the power base provided.
- Before use, ensure that the cable is positioned in the slot in the power base.
- Do not operate unless the lid is firmly in place.
- Always use and operate in a well ventilated area and on a flat, level surface.
- Avoid leaving the kettle unattended during use. Already shared this one above?
- The outside of the kettle will become hot during use. Avoid touching any hot surfaces.
- Do not attempt to move the kettle whilst in use. Allow kettle to cool.
- Do not attempt to remove the lid whilst in use.
- Do not use the kettle without the filter being in place.
- Take care whilst handling when containing hot water.
- Do not fill above the ‘Max’ level (ie. 1.7 litres). Overfilling above this level may result in hot water being ejected from the spout and may cause scalding.
- Hot liquids can be dangerous – in the unfortunate event of hot water being spilt on the skin, immediately run cold water over the scalded area. Seek medical help if necessary.
If the kettle is accidentally switched ON without sufficient water, a boil-dry mechanism will automatically switch the kettle OFF.
Our kettles should only be used in a 13 amp socket with fully effective earth connection. It is factory fitted with a plug incorporating a fuse. If the supplied plug does not fit your household sockets, the plug should be removed and an appropriate one fitted. The removed plug should be destroyed safely. The flexible cord insulation should be stripped back as appropriate and a suitable alternative plug fitted. A replacement plug must comply with BS1363 and a 13 amp fuse fitted which complies with BS1362. The wires in the lead of this appliance are coloured as follows:
- Green + yellow Earth
- Blue Neutral
- Brown Live
Connect the green/yellow wire to the terminal in the plug marked 'E' or coloured green/yellow, the blue wire to the terminal marked 'N' or coloured black and the brown wire to the terminal marked 'L' or coloured red. Should the fuse in the plug require replacing, a BS1362 13 amp fuse must be fitted. This appliance is manufactured to conform to Directive 2006/95/EC (Low Voltage) and Directive 2004/108/EC (Electromagnetic Compatibility).
We hope you found this article useful and if you have any questions, please contact us.